Saturday, September 13, 2008

phm studio spaces: laurie coyle



Artist Name: Laurie Coyle
Shop Name and Url: LaurieCoyleDesigns.Etsy.com
Blog: LaurieCoyle.Wordpress.com
City: South Lee, Massachusetts

Where in your home/apartment/city is your studio located?
My studio is on the second floor of the 100 year-old farmhouse my husband and I own on the side of a small mountain, in the beautiful Berkshire Hills of Western Massachusetts. It is in the office I share with my husband, which is also known occasionally as our guest room, storage space, and cat-hangout.




What equipment/tools do you use?
I create my illustrations and design my prints and greeting cards with a wide-screen Macbook and Wacom tablet. Some of my other favorite tools include a wonderful little Gocco screen-printer and my HP Photosmart D7460 printer. I print with archival inks on soft gloss photo paper as well as on wonderful 100% recycled papers from Mr. French, which are made using hydroelectricity. I also love to play with fabric and a sewing machine, as well as with all kinds of art paper and tools, including an x-acto knife and bone-folder, a paper cutter, stamps, punches, photo-transfer paper, and, one of the most useful tools around, double-stick tape. My photographs are made with a Nikon D40 digital camera and my trusty Slik tripod.




Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?
I have a collection of wonderful crafty things hanging around my studio to inspire me, but currently I am gathering inspiration from all things outdoorsy, reveling in the summer and the first glimmers of fall and the beauty around me; animals, flowers, trees, weeds, grasses and bodies of water. I love the colors and textures of the woods, and the aliveness of it all. My husband and I have a wonderful dog and have just gotten some goats and chickens, too, so I'm watching them as much as possible, taking note of how they move and interact.




How do you create best (e.g. do you listen to music while you create and if so what?)
I can often be found working on my computer at the kitchen table or on the couch, half-paying attention to a movie or an NPR radio program. I also listen to music and Hayhouse Radio shows on the internet while I work. I definitely work best alone, and find a quiet house the best place to get things done; distractions are a major problem for me, so I try to reduce them as much as possible. I make lots of lists, so I know what is most important to accomplish each week. When I am working on a painting or other craft project in my studio I always have some music on and the windows open, if possible (of course, 6 months out of the year it's too cold for that here in New England!).



List (3) of your favorite artists
Ryan McGinnness
Tord Boontje
Lotta Jansdotter


If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?
I dream of having a more cohesive decorating scheme in my studio. And maybe an industrial paper cutter and large-format printer, as well as someday an entire letterpress setup; right now I have a tabletop Kelsey Excelsior that I am refurbishing, but I would love a Vandercook! We painted the room when we moved in three years ago, before I really knew what we'd be using it for, so I think I would like to have a brighter, more inspiring color on the walls (I'm thinking orange right now, but am always changing my mind). I am currently in love with this wooden cubby cabinet I just found at a friend's yard sale; she had gotten it from an old apothecary, and the little cubes work perfectly for my cards, envelopes and tools. Eventually, ideally, I'd like to have a studio in the back of my own little retail shop, in the bustling arts district of a nearby town, where I could walk to work and bring my dog.