Friday, August 1, 2008

studiopalooza: Michelle Caplan

art storage wall

Artist Name: Michelle Caplan
Website/Shop: Website, Shop
Blog: http://michellecaplan.blogspot.com
City: Los Angeles, CA


Where in your home/apartment is your studio located?
Technically my Studio is a 10'x10' room in the front part of my home, but in the past year I have taken over a large part of the homes center spaces. I was lucky enough to stumble upon a huge 4ftx8ft table that easily accommodates larger canvases.

What equipment/tools do you use?
A lot of glue, vintage ephemera, framed canvas, vintage photos, tissue papers, computer, Epson printer, and occasionally my sewing machine.

Untitled-10

Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?
My inspiration board is above my computer desk, and is filled with photos, objects and tear sheets that inspire me.

inspiration board

How do you create best (e.g. do you listen to music while you create and if so what?)
I get most inspired by the photos I find, and the ephemera. My most favorite pieces of ephemera are vintage handwritten lists. I am a neurotic list maker, and find a great deal of beauty in the fine lines of text written in beautiful cursive ink.

vintage handwritting

List (3) of your favorite artists (with links - just fill in the blank part in between the code shown)

Jen Renninger
Betsy Walton
Francesco Clemente


If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?
One day I dream of having a huge barn, or separate structure located in back of my house to work in. I keep threatening to convert our garage into a workspace, but never seem to find the time! I dream of organization and order. It would be so nice to have everything in one room/space and be able to escape the masses of paper at the end of the day!!

2347028500_5b841429f3_o