Tuesday, July 29, 2008



Artist Name: sarah ahearn
Website/Shop: sarahearn.etsy.com
Blog: sarahearn.blogspot.com
City: Ithaca, NY

Where in your home/apartment is your studio located?
My studio is a few blocks away from our apartment in a lovely little building that used to be a little furniture store. It's a cute (and small) space I share with a couple of graphic designers. We each have our own space, but it's nice to have someone else to talk with or bounce ideas off of once and a while. I have to confess though, that today i am painting/working from my back porch which is really cozy on a rainy, summer day like today!




What equipment/tools do you use?
Most of my work is done with acrylic paints, mixed media (pencil, colored pencil, and pastels) and collage. For the collage, I have lots of old books that I cut up, especially dictionaries.
My biggest tool though is my 600 lb. letterpress named Gordon.
I recently aquired an large old set of drawers (flat file) that has been just the perfect spot to organize all of my prints, organization is really important in a small studio.



Do you have an inspiration board, and can you tell us what is inspiring you now?
Yes, I actually have an inspiration wall, along with a few boards throughout my space. I use the orange wall next to my desk as a giant ever-changing scrapbook of ideas and inspiration. I also have mounted a large piece of homosote (bulletin board material) to the back of my work table. I post sketches and ideas there along with little bit of ephemera that I collect. I am constantly inspired by the combination of text and image. Lately I have been inspired by the phases of the moon, and I am working on a whole new series illustrating the moon and its different phases.
How do you create best (e.g. do you listen to music while you create and if so what?)
I have to say I love listening to NPR and to audio books. If I am really concentrating though, silence is best. I generally have music on in the backround too- I am listening to the latest from she &him and feist.




List (3) of your favorite artists
So many wonderful artist out there- but these artists make me happy-
lucie summers, amy ruppel, and michael cutlip.

blu-shed.blogspot.com
amyruppel.com
michaelcutlip.com


If yours isn't, what would be your perfect studio?
I would love a studio in a barn, in New England, in my own backyard with lots of sunlight and a poured concrete floor to hold up my heavy letterpress and tables. In addition, the space should be big enough so that I can teach classes and hold open studios. Someday soon I hope!

Thank you Sarah!